We actually got some snow last night, and it is currently a balmy 17 degrees outside.
Yesterday was a busy day of homework, studying, nannying and a final, so I decided to give us something to look forward to at the end of the day. Something that smells and tastes delicious to be precise: Crock pot chicken tortilla soup.
It was so easy to make:
- Mix up some spices - I used cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little salt
- Drizzle a little olive oil and some of your spices over a package of chicken breasts. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the veggies that you want in your soup. It really depends on what you like, I used:
- one can of corn (drained)
- one can of black beans (drained)
- one green bell pepper (diced)
- one half yellow onion(diced) (I cooked the bell pepper and onion on the stove with some of the spices before adding them to the crock pot)
- and one can of crushed tomatoes (not drained)
- Once your chicken is done, shred it with two forks.
- Add everything to the crock pot, as well as the rest of your spices (add these to taste)
- Cook on low for really however many hours you would like. Everything is cooked so you don't have to worry about raw chicken or anything like that. I let mine go from noon to about 7:00 and it was so delicious.
- Top with whatever you would like! I used sour cream, cilantro, a bit of cheese and some tortilla chip pieces.
The perfect end to a cold and busy day!